Your perfume is an important part of you, especially when you’re meeting someone. So, it should be one that smells nice. Besides, the perfume or cologne should last for a long time.
If the smell of your cologne fades away quickly, there is no meaning in using it. So, while buying cologne, you should know how long the fragrance stays with you.
Below is a typical assumption about the duration of cologne. Have a look to get an idea about it. It’ll help you to make a decision while shopping for a cologne.
How Long does Cologne Last on Clothes?
It depends on the quality of the cologne. A typical cologne is made to stay for around 24 hours so that you can carry the fragrance for a whole day.
But if yours is an inexpensive one, it’ll stay less than 24 hours. Depending on the quality, cheap colognes stay around 6 to 18 hours with you.
On the other hand, you’ll find some perfumes that stay for a long time- typically a few days to a week.
Also, it depends on the type of fabric. Some fabrics can absorb the cologne better. In that case, the fragrance remains with you for a long time.
I suggest buying colognes that last for at least a day.
How to make Cologne last?
When you have a perfume that doesn’t last long, instead of replacing it, you can follow some tips to make it stay longer. Below are some common and effective tips to make cologne last for a long time.
- Apply perfume on your body just after a shower. Make sure that your body is dampened. A dampen skin can capture cologne effectively and for a long time.
- Don’t spray the cologne on the air around you. Keep it closer to your body while spraying. This will allow you to put more perfume on your body.
- Spray the perfume on your pulse points. Pulse points are warm areas that help the fragrance to diffuse across the body. Some common pulse points you can use are- neck, wrist, inner elbow, behind the knees, etc.
- Apply a small amount of Vaseline on your pulse points before spraying the cologne. Vaseline works as a moisturizer and locks the scent for a long time.
- Don’t rub the cologne after applying it. Let it stay. If you rub, the chemical breaks down faster and the top note of your perfume vanishes quickly. If you want, you can gently dab it on your skin.
- Use an unscented lotion to keep the cologne for a long time. Mix a small amount of perfume with an unscented lotion and use it before going out. This will help the perfume last for a long time.
- Apply the perfume to your clothes too. Putting the perfume just on the body makes it vanish quickly. Your cells can’t hold scents, but the clothing fibers can.
- If you use a particular scent, you can use a great trick. Spray perfume on tissue paper and put that in your drawer. This will make the clothes smell like the perfume you use. So, when you’ll wear clothes, the cologne will be with you.
- Apply the perfume to your hair. Spray it on a hairbrush and brush through the hair thoroughly. If you think that the perfume might make your hair dry, use a hair fragrance that comes with a similar smell as your perfume.
- For quick touch-ups, apply perfume on cotton swabs or cotton balls and store those in a corner of your bag. This will allow you to have the fragrance throughout the day without carrying the bottle.
- Store the perfume somewhere cool, dry, and away from direct light. Humidity, light, and heat lessen the intensity and quality of the cologne. Don’t store it in your bathroom.
- Don’t shake the bottle. Try to keep it stand still. Shaking causes air penetration in the bottle and thus reduces the quality of your perfume.
- Don’t transfer the perfume from its original bottle to another bottle. In this process, air easily mixes with the perfume and changes the chemical makeup. As a result, the cologne becomes weaker and vanishes quickly.
The typical duration of cologne on your body is around 18-24 hours. But the tips I’ve shared with you in this article will surely make those last longer.
So, don’t worry if your cologne doesn’t last long. Follow the tips and you’ll see the result.